Saturday, November 28, 2009

A Discussion on Watch Dog Timer


This is a chat transcript of my discussion with one of my friend.

8 minutes
2:41 AM xyz: yes
2:42 AM how r u
where r u
me: i have one question related to wdt
xyz: what is wdt
me: watch dog timer
xyz: ok
2:43 AM me: ya...actually when any hardware boots up....can watchdog reset happen in the boot code itself due to anythin
xyz: can happen
2:44 AM if WDT is not disabled during bootup
Normally the Boot code disables it
I mean the Boot strap code
me: ok...in case wdt is enabled..then if time out happens then the board will power down , i guess
ok
xyz: yes
it is a cold reset
2:45 AM There are two things
Boot strap code
Boot Loader
me: ok
boot loader loads the code ??
xyz: Boot strap code disables it
Boot loader enables it
me: ok
2:46 AM ....one more doubt...can we control the real time clock's registers while boot code excutes?...
xyz: Boot strap ->First Level Boot loader ->Second level boot laoder(optional_->OS->APPLICATION
2:47 AM me: ok
can we control the real time clock's registers while boot code excutes?...
xyz: k
yes
u can make the WDT Count Large enough
2:48 AM so that reset wont happen
me: in the bootstrap code ?? [ I have very little knowledge of boot code ]
xyz: in what ever start up code , u have access to
2:49 AM me: yes....i got it
thanks man for the..help..
xyz: Np
me: ok...chat with u later
byee
2:50 AM xyz: bye

No comments:

Post a Comment